Current:Home > StocksPredictIQ-Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting -Quantum Capital Pro
PredictIQ-Trial to begin in lawsuit filed against accused attacker’s parents over Texas school shooting
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-07 06:14:30
GALVESTON,PredictIQ Texas (AP) — A lawsuit accusing the parents of a former Texas high school student of negligence for not securing weapons he allegedly used in a 2018 shooting at his campus that killed 10 people was set to go before a jury on Wednesday.
Opening statements were expected in Galveston, Texas, in the civil trial over the lawsuit filed by family members of seven of those killed and four of the 13 people wounded in the attack at Santa Fe High School in May 2018.
Dimitrios Pagourtzis was charged with capital murder for the shooting. Pagourtzis was a 17-year-old student when authorities said he killed eight students and two teachers at the school, located about 35 miles (55 kilometers) southeast of Houston.
The now 23-year-old’s criminal trial has been on hold as he’s been declared incompetent to stand trial and has remained at the North Texas State Hospital in Vernon since December 2019.
The lawsuit is seeking to hold Pagourtzis and his parents, Antonios Pagourtzis and Rose Marie Kosmetatos, financially liable for the shooting. The families are pursuing at least $1 million in damages.
The lawsuit accuses Pagourtzis’ parents of knowing their son was at risk of harming himself or others. It alleges Pagourtzis had been exhibiting signs of emotional distress and violent fantasies but his parents did nothing to get him help or secure a handgun and shotgun kept at their home that he allegedly ended up using during the shooting.
“We look forward to obtaining justice for the victims of the senseless tragedy,” said Clint McGuire, an attorney representing the families of five students who were killed and two others who were injured.
Lori Laird, an attorney for Pagourtzis’ parents, did not immediately reply to an email seeking comment.
In a court filing, Roberto Torres, who is representing Pagourtzis in the lawsuit, denied the allegations against his client, saying that “due to mental impairment or illness, (Pagourtzis) did not have sufficient capacity to have a reasonable degree of rational understanding of or control over his actions.”
The trial could last up to three weeks.
Family members of those killed or wounded have welcomed the start of the civil trial as they have expressed frustration that Pagourtzis’ criminal trial has been on hold for years, preventing them from having a sense of closure.
Lucky Gunner, a Tennessee-based online retailer accused of illegally selling ammunition to Pagourtzis, had also been one of the defendants in the lawsuit. But in 2023, the families settled their case against the retailer, who had been accused of failing to verify Pagourtzis’ age when he bought more than 100 rounds of ammunition on two occasions before the shooting.
Other similar lawsuits have been filed following a mass shooting.
In 2022, a jury awarded over $200 million to the mother of one of four people killed in a shooting at a Waffle House in Nashville, Tennessee. The lawsuit had been filed against the shooter and his father, who was accused of giving back a rifle to his son before the shooting despite his son’s mental health issues.
In April, Jennifer and James Crumbley were sentenced to at least 10 years in prison by a Michigan judge after becoming the first parents convicted in a U.S. mass school shooting.
___
Follow Juan A. Lozano on X: https://twitter.com/juanlozano70
veryGood! (96493)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- 'Treacherous conditions' in NYC: Firefighters battling record number of brush fires
- Hurricane-stricken Tampa Bay Rays to play 2025 season at Yankees’ spring training field in Tampa
- Dick Van Dyke says he 'fortunately' won't be around for Trump's second presidency
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Natural gas flares sparked 2 wildfires in North Dakota, state agency says
- How Kim Kardashian Navigates “Uncomfortable” Situations With Her 4 Kids
- More than 150 pronghorns hit, killed on Colorado roads as animals sought shelter from snow
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Ex-Phoenix Suns employee files racial discrimination, retaliation lawsuit against the team
Ranking
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign chancellor to step down at end of academic year
- USMNT Concacaf Nations League quarterfinal Leg 1 vs. Jamaica: Live stream and TV, rosters
- Quincy Jones' cause of death revealed: Reports
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Skiing legend Lindsey Vonn ends retirement, plans to return to competition
- KFC sues Church's Chicken over 'original recipe' fried chicken branding
- Black, red or dead: How Omaha became a hub for black squirrel scholarship
Recommendation
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Tropical Storm Sara threatens to bring flash floods and mudslides to Central America
'Survivor' 47, Episode 9: Jeff Probst gave players another shocking twist. Who went home?
Jennifer Hudson, Kylie Minogue and Billy Porter to perform at Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade
2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow's Son Moses Martin Reveals His Singing Talents at Concert
What is ‘Doge’? Explaining the meme and cryptocurrency after Elon Musk's appointment to D.O.G.E.
32-year-old Maryland woman dies after golf cart accident